Monday, March 14, 2011

Lessons from Stanley the Cat by Jennifer Freed REVIEW

Lessons from Stanley the Cat : Nine Lives of Everyday Wisdom by Jennifer Freed

-Seduction is just the practice of artful stretching-

-Never let people know how fast you are. Appear slow in all things, and less is expected of you.-

-When someone is on the computer too long, help them by distracting them, or walk lightly on their keyboard.-

So advises Stanley, a remarkably  astute cat with a keen eye for the  important things in life. Perhaps you don't have time for yoga, can't afford therapy, or wouldn't dare cry to your mother. If so, let Stanley be your guide. Lessons from Stanley the Cat offers  wise and witty maxims from Stanley himself, translated by his doting psychotherapist (human) parent, Jennifer Freed. Whether you are a cat lover or prefer companions of the canine variety. Stanley's warmth and insight are sure to brighten even the grayest days.

Let me start off by saying how cute this book was. It was a delight to read. It reminded me of the movie Look Who's Talking but in book form and about a cat instead of a baby. And I loved that movie:) I started out reading this book with my morning coffee (replacing the news;) then again at night before I went to bed but I quickly realized I couldn't put the book down. 
Also, the illustrator Tone Gellerstedt did a great job on the pictures and details. really bringing the book and Stanley's personality through the pages.
I had such fun reading this book that many times I would read tidbits out loud to whoever was in the room.
I am a cat (and dog) lover and could completely relate to a lot of the things in this book as a cat owner/parent. Simple little things like your cat walking on the keyboard. 
I have already recommended this book to many people and will continue to do so. You will get many smiles and chuckles out of this book:)

No comments: