Friday, August 10, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James REVIEW

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)

**This book is intended for mature audiences**
When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

**This book is intended for mature audiences**

I really need to start writing my reviews after I put the book down because (obviously then) the feelings and emotions are fresh and the story is fresh in my mind. 
After I finished this book I was reeling. But then I started to reel myself back in knowing that this and that would and wouldn't happen because there are two more books (now that I have gotten into them, I wish there were more books in the series) and soon to be a movie based on the book (Yay for me:)
First off, let me start out by saying, This is not a genre I ever pick up. I have done that before (sci fi / fantasy) hasn't turned out well...but you never know. Which is why after a while I am willing to pick one up just to keep an open mind.
That's what I had to do with this book series. Seeing that it was romance was...okay. I will still apprehensive about it but I was very hesitant about the erotica part. That is not me. And it still isn't. Not my cup of tea...or coffee:) But my sister was just getting into the first one and said she could not put it down. But then again she tends to be...or seems to be more open to that genre. But then, my sister in law told me she couldn't put it down and that I had to read them. So I thought, okay I will give them a shot but if I end up having to flip through page after page of smut, I am going to give it up. 
I am so glad I gave it a try. Yes there is erotica in the books but not the smut I was begrudgingly expecting.There is depth to the story. An actual relationship I was not expecting. I understand the reason why this book is under the erotica genre but there is a story behind that as well. This first book is full of surprise, sadness, mystery and humor. 
My favorite parts in the book were the emails back and forth between Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele for sure. I loved the flirtation and humor they had in their emails. 
I was stunned at the end but I had to remind myself that there is a second AND third book and after reading the synopsis of the second book I knew the story and the relationship between Christian and Ana would turn a corner. I couldn't wait to read the second book.
I don't want to give any spoilers so I will stop here with my thoughts. What I will say is this: I understand the Hesitation about the series because I had those hesitations but I am so glad I decided to read the books for myself. I have surprised myself with falling for this series.
But I have been thinking, because there have been a few books I want to discuss further; I have been considering creating a spoiler page for just that reason.  




I borrowed this book from my sister in law
 

No comments: