Friday, September 7, 2012

A Matter of Time by Michael J. Bowler

A Matter of Time

What is your destiny? This question haunts 20-year-old Jamie Collins. A junior at Santa Clara University in 1986, Jamie has lots of friends, a professor whom he regards as a mentor, and a promising future as a writer. Then the dreams begin - nightmares leading him to a destiny beyond belief. These visions transport him to a time and place fifty-five years before he was born: Titanic's maiden voyage in 1912 With less than a week to go before the 75th anniversary of its sinking, Jamie learns that his fate is inexplicably linked to that of the famous vessel. Somehow, the two timelines are overlapping, and when Titanic dies, Jamie will die along with her. Those dreams reveal something evil stalking the ill-fated ship, something that expedites the collision which sinks the great liner. Jamie comes to realize that because of his connection, he may be able to prevent the world's greatest maritime disaster, and save his own life in the process. But how? How can he stop a ship from sinking in 1912 when he hadn't even been born yet? And even if he can stop it - should he? What will be the effect on history if he succeeds? Jamie's quest to fulfill his destiny ties friends and family together in ways he could never have imagined. A Matter of Time is an emotionally charged voyage into the value of friendship, the power of love, the impact of evil, and the vagaries of Fate.



*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * 

Ever since I learned about the Titanic at a young age, I have been fascinated with all things Titanic, so again, when the opportunity came, I grabbed it.
This was a really interesting story; set in modern times where a college kid keeps having dreams about the Titanic and people on it but doesn't realize it. The story also had a vampire feel to it. I have never been big on vampires. Not even the Twilight series, I haven't read the books but Hubby has and is still insisting that I read them. I have watched the movies with him but..well anyway.
Even though there was a vampire feel to this story I still fully enjoyed it. 
Part of what made this book fun and different then the other Titanic books out there was it's time traveling. That was unexpected and neat. A twist I didn't see coming. The author had me reading later then I normally do. But I would wake up wanting to finish reading the book to see what was going to happen next. 
The story was a bit...out there..for lack of better words but, the author made it work.

What I didn't care for about the book was the editing. The scenes changed without notice so that made it confusing. Also you never get told who's point of view you are reading from so I had to keep looking back through the pages and what not to keep from getting too confused. 
But I did really enjoy this book and recommend it.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Sounds like an interesting premise and I'd be curious to see how it all resolves.

Teena in Toronto said...

I liked it!