Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Strange Attractor by Desmond Cory **Review**

The Strange Attractor
Winner of the Sunday Times' Best Crime novel of the year, Desmond Cory returns with a near-perfect mystery novel , written with intelligence and laced with wit.

For John Dobie, absent-minded maths professor, the death of a student provokes bewilderment, but little else. Who was Sammy Cantwell, after all?
But being drugged, tied up and made witness to another murder forces his usually dormant curiosity, especially when the murdered woman turns out to be his errant wife.
With the discovery of a second murdered woman in his bed in the space of a few hours, it is obvious he needs help. The police? No, help from someone with sense. Who better than the ex-student's agreeable landlady, pathologist Kate Coyle, to mould him, albeit unwillingly, into amateur sleuth? 


Review:
A first read for my by this author. This was a murder mystery with a math professor who ends up using mathematics to solve crime. I was really intrigued by the synopsis, especially since math is not my forte but I love murder mysteries and reads that keep me on my toes. This book did not disappoint. I really enjoyed how the author made Dobie's character. He (Dobie) is funny without trying to be (sort of like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory). The author is such a creative writer with a talent for writing in such a way that brings his books to life. He knows how to keep the reader invested.
My only gripes about this book: Formatting in the kindle edition seemed to be an issue, but not so much of an issue that you can't enjoy the read. At first I wondered if this was a chapter book or not since the first chapter lasted quite a while. But that isn't a big deal either except that it was challenging for me to know when to put the book down since there were no real "breaks" with scenes within the book. 
I would gladly read another book by this author. 

No comments: